Diplomatic missions



Australia and Oceania


North America

South America


Last update 09 January 2023Diplomatic missions

Risk index

Level 1: Without special recommendations



Select passport type

Regular passport: visa not required

Diplomatic passport: visa not required

Official passport: visa not required

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday from 09.00 h to 12.00 h (for submitting applications for personal documents, certification of powers of attorney, visas and all other consular services)
Wednesday from 13.00 h to 16.00 h (only to receive ready documents, for which you are explicitly notified).

All consular services will be performed only after pre-booking an appointment every working day between 14.00 h and 16:00 h on the phone 070 358 46 88 (including for notarization and other administrative services).
To apply for ID cards and passports, it is also possible to book an appointment electronically at: https://www.consulatebg.eu/ (only for Bulgarian citizens residing in the Netherlands).

Embassy of the Republic of Bulgaria in the Hague
Address: The Netherlands, The Hague, Duinroosweg 9, 2597 KJ, Den Haag
Tel.: +31 70 350 30 51
E-mail: [email protected] 
Website: https://www.mfa.bg/embassies/netherlands

Consular Section of the Embassy of the Republic of Bulgaria in the Hague:
Telephone for consular information and setting up of appointments for all consular services:  +31 70 358 46 88 all working days between 14:00 h and 16:00 h
E-mail: [email protected]
Opening hours of the Consular Section:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday – between 09:00 h and 12:00 h (for applications for personal documents, endorsement of powers of attorney, visas and all other consular services)
Wednesday – between 13:00 h and 16:00 h (only to receive ready documents)
An appointment for application for personal documents can be done online at: https://www.consulatebg.eu 
Emergency phone:  + 31686213612 (for emergency cases only outside of working hours).

General information

Local currency  

The Euro (EUR)

Crime and security

The Netherlands is the country with the lowest crime rate in Europe and a very well organised police force.

There is need for some precaution when riding public transportation or visiting the Utrecht Car Market where theft of money and ID documents have been reported.

Customs requirements

For detailed information on customs requirements check HERE.

Road traffic

Bulgarian citizens who already have residence registration in the Netherlands or hold a Dutch ID card allowing them to stay and/or work in the country are obliged by the Dutch authorities to have their Bulgarian driving licenses replaced with Dutch ones. Applications for Dutch driving licenses should be submitted at the relevant municipality according to place of residence in the Netherlands.

The Dutch authorities also oblige the Bulgarian citizens, who already have residence registration in the Netherlands or hold a Dutch ID card allowing them to stay and/or work in the country, to change the Bulgarian vehicle registration plates with Dutch numbers. The procedure for car registration in the Netherlands is the following:

  • The citizens have to go to the Bureau for vehicle registration /Rijvaardigheidsbewijzen – RDW/bringing with them a valid ID document and a certificate for residence registration issued by a Dutch municipality.
  • The office hours of the Bureau for vehicle registration are from 8.00 to12.00h. and everyone can go there with no prior appointment. The addresses of RDW offices can be found HERE.
  • If someone wants to make an appointment or to receive more information on the issue, that person can contact RDW officers at the following telephone: +900 0739.
  •  If the vehicle is more than three years old, it needs to undergo a periodical technical inspection /APK/,which costs 29.50 Euro. Technical inspections done in Bulgaria are not recognised in the Netherlands. The fee payable for Dutch registration plate is 100 Euro.
  • The addresses of the offices where Dutch registration plates can be purchased are listed on the following Internet site HERE.


There are no incidences of contagious diseases in the Netherlands.

No vaccination is required at the entry into the country.


There are no areas with increased risk of natural disasters.

Travel papers and visas

As of 1 January 2007 the citizens of the Republic of Bulgaria became citizens of the European Union and as such they are entitled to a stay in another Member State for a period of up to 90 days without any conditions or formalities apart from the requirement to hold a valid ID card or passport. These provisions apply to family members who are not citizens of a Member State but accompany or join the EU citizen and who hold valid passports and residence cards as members of the family of an EU citizen. Those who do not hold such a card need to duly certify that they are members of the family of an EU citizen in order to obtain a visa free of charge. (We do advise, however, to carry a passport initially in order to avoid certain confusion at some foreign border crossing points.)

When crossing EU external borders, all travellers shall be checked by border control officers which also includes checking the vehicles and stuff carried. Travellers are subject of minimal checks for verifying their identity based on the submitted ID documents. That also pertains to all individuals who are entitled to free movement on the territory of EU Member State.

All EU citizens are entitled to stay in the territory of another MS for a period not exceeding 90 days provided they:

  • are workers or self-employed people in the host Member State; or
  • are enrolled at a private or public educational establishment which is accredited or financed by the host Member State on the basis of its legislation or administrative practice, for the principal purpose of following a course of study, including vocational training
  • have comprehensive sickness insurance cover in the host Member State and assure the relevant national authorities by means of a declaration or other equivalent means of their choosing that they have sufficient resources for themselves and their family members not to become a burden on the social assistance system of the host Member State during their period of residence, or that they are either family members accompanying or join a EU citizen who satisfies the above listed conditions.
  • If a stay exceeds 90 days, the citizens have to register with the relevant authorities in accordance with certain administrative formalities. The authorities shall issue a current registration certificate stating the name and address of the person registering and the date of registration. Failure to comply with the registration requirement may render the person concerned liable to proportionate and non-discriminatory sanctions. A valid ID card or passport should be presented, a confirmation of engagement from the employer or a certificate of employment, or proof that they are self-employed people; proof of enrolment in an accredited educational establishment institution and of possession of a comprehensive sickness insurance cover.
  • Member States may not specify a fixed amount which they regard as "sufficient resources", but they must take into account the personal situation of the person concerned. In all cases this amount shall not be higher than the threshold below which nationals of the host Member State become eligible for social assistance, or, where this criterion is not applicable, higher than the minimum social security pension paid by the host Member State.
  • Residence cards shall be issued to family members of a EU citizen when the former are not citizens of a MS.
  • Residence rights shall be retained until the person concerned does not become an unacceptable burden on the social assistance system of the host Member State. Residence rights depend on whether the citizen satisfies the respective conditions. If there is any doubt about that, Member States are entitled to check whether the conditions have met. Such checks are performed regularly.
  • Ban on residence can be imposed on grounds of public security considerations in relation with public order or public health.
  • The expiry of the validity of an ID card or a passport shall not constitute a ground for expulsion.
  • Permanent residence rights in a given Member State can be acquired when EU citizens have been legally and continuously residing in that Member State for a period of 5 years. The latter is not affected by temporary absences when they do not exceed a total of 6 months per year or an absence of up to 12 months for legitimate reasons (e.g. compulsory military service, pregnancy, serious disease).
  • Once acquired, the right of permanent residence shall be lost only through absence from the host Member State for a period exceeding two consecutive years.
  • Bulgarian citizens travelling to the Netherlands with the aim of permanent or long-term residence (for more than 3 months) are obliged to get address registration in the relevant Dutch municipality. To that end these Bulgarian citizens have to go the town hall and submit a valid passport or ID card, lease agreement and a Bulgarian birth certificate with an Apostille affixed thereto by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Bulgaria in Sofia which has been translated into Dutch and English by a sworn translator in the Netherlands.

For more information regarding the conditions for entry and residence in the country, contact the Embassy of the Netherlands in Sofia.

Competitive service

What consular officers can do for you:

  • issue a travel document to you, in case you do not hold one
  • inform your relatives in case of an accident, serious illness or death, and provide any possible assistance
  • inform your relatives in case of an arrest, assist them to visit you in prison, and ensure that you are treated in the same way as the citizens of the host country
  • provide aid in case of emergency, such as natural disasters or civil unrest
  • provide you with the most current information when you travel
  • authenticate a signature
  • draw up civil status records (birth, civil marriage and death certificates)
  • forward civil status certificates already drawn up by local authorities to the respective municipality of  your permanent address in Bulgaria.

Legalisation and certification

To have a public document issued by the competent authorities in the Netherlands recognised in Bulgaria and vice versa, i.e. to have a Bulgarian public document recognised in the Netherlands, the said public document needs to be translated and certified with an Apostille in conformity with the Convention Abolishing the Requirement for Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents, drawn up in the Hague on 5 October 1961 whereof Bulgaria and the Netherlands are signatory countries. The translation has to be made by a sworn translator whose signature needs to be duly authenticated according to the established requirements.

This site uses cookies. By accepting cookies you can optimise your browsing experience.

Accept Refuse More