Diplomatic missions



Australia and Oceania


North America

South America


Last update 23 May 2023Diplomatic missions

Risk index

Level 4: Termination warning throughout the country (except in case of extreme necessity)


Select passport type

Regular passport: visa not required

Diplomatic passport: visa not required

Official passport: visa not required

The United Mexican States

The Embassy of the Republic of Bulgaria in Mexico
Address: Paseo de la Reforma 1990 Col. Lomas de Chapultepec
Del. Miguel Hidalgo c.p.11000, México D.F.
Tel./Fax: +52 55 5596 3283
Out-of-hours  hotline: + 521  5520 953 892
Office hours for visitors: Mon to Fri, 09.00 - 15.00
Telephone enquiries for consular information:+52 55 5596 3295, Mon to Fri, 09.00 - 15.00
Е-mail: [email protected]
Website: www.mfa.bg/embassies/mexico

Embassy of the United Mexican States in Hungary (accredited for the Republic of Bulgaria)
Address: Rómer Flóris utca 58, H-1024, Budapest, Hungría
Tel.: +361 326 0447, +361 326 0486, +361 326 0676, +361 326 067
Fax: +361 326 0485
Consular Services: +361 3260389
E-mail: embamexhu@t-online.hu
Website: www.embamex.sre.gob.mx/hungria/

Honorary Consul of Mexico in Bulgaria

1000 Sofia, 21, boul. Patriarch Evtimii, ent. B (Б), ét.2
Tél. / Fax: +359 2 989 47 96
GSM: +359 888 220 050
E-mail: [email protected]

General information

Criminality rate and security:

The criminality rate in the United Mexican States is relatively low.

There are no specific recommendations about the personal security of travellers.

Please note that when travelling around the following states: Guerrero, Michoacan, Tamaulipas, Sonora, Sinaloa, Chihuahua, Durango and Nuevo Leon, which are located mainly in the northern part of the country, you need to exercise a high level of caution due to problems of public safety as a result of clashes of the military and federal police authorities with organised criminal groups.


Sanitary conditions – it is advisable that you drink only bottled water. Do not consume food prepared in the street.

The location of the capital, Mexico City, at an altitude of 2,300m, can cause some complications for people with blood pressure problems.

Customs requirements:

Import of dairy and meat products is prohibited.

You are allowed to import 2 bottles of spirits per person.

Any foreign citizen may import up to 10,000 USD, or its equivalent in Mexican pesos, into the country.

It is forbidden to import food stuffs of animal origin. A selective customs control is carried out at entering the country. Mexico pursues a consistent policy against the production of and illegal trade in drugs. The international airports in the country are equipped with most advanced technical devices for detecting drugs. Travellers from Central and South America transiting the country via its airports are object of a more thorough examination. The sentences for illegal trade in drugs vary from 10 to 25 years.

Legislation specifics:

The use and possession of drugs is a federal crime punishable by 5 to 15 years imprisonment.

Road traffic:

It is recommended that you use public transport accompanied by people familiar with the locality you are visiting.

You should avoid hiring taxis outside the designated areas.

If you want to travel around the country, please do so in daylight; use the main highways and avoid secondary roads.

Local currency:

Mexican Peso (MXN). You can exchange EUR or USD at bank offices or exchange bureaus at airports and hotels.


The presence of five active tectonic plates within the country is a prerequisite for high seismic activity. June to November is the period of rainfall, which is accompanied by hurricanes and rainstorms along the Pacific coast, in the Gulf of Mexico and along the coast of the Atlantic Ocean, where the resorts of Cancun and Riviera Maya are situated.

Travel papers and visas

Bulgarian nationals holding a valid passport (valid for at least 6 months from the last day of the planned stay in the country), may enter and reside in Mexico as tourists without visas for up to 180 days. The length of stay may be extended by applying to the migration services migrating of the respective state. More information is available HERE.

On arrival in Mexico as tourists, Bulgarian citizens have to fill in a migration form which they must keep; the form has to be presented at border control when leaving the country. In case the migration form is lost or stolen, the tourist should immediately notify the competent police authorities and request a certificate attesting to that fact. On leaving the country, Bulgarian nationals whose migration form was lost, destroyed or stolen, have to pay a fine. The fine is paid at the migration service offices at the airport.

Bulgarian nationals who intend to stay in Mexico for a period longer than 180 days, or will reside in the country for the purpose of work, education or other gainful activity, but have entered on a tourist visa, cannot change their status of residence.

According to amendments in the Mexican migration law effective since 09.11.2012, foreign nationals wishing to work in Mexico should obtain a work visa in advance by applying to the competent Mexican Embassy. Exceptions are allowed only in cases of family reunification or humanitarian reasons. Further information on this can be obtained on the website of Mexico's Migration Institute or the Embassy of Mexico in Budapest, which also serves Bulgaria.

On leaving the country, the foreign national's residence document is returned and cancelled.

When minors leave the country, either alone or accompanied by adults, whether Mexican or foreign nationals, they must submit a notarized declaration from the parents to the effect that they grant their consent for the journey.

If minors travel accompanied by one parent, when entering and leaving the country the parent must submit a notarized declaration from the other parent giving his/her consent for  child / children to travel. The declaration is submitted on leaving the country and complications are possible if one parent with a child is already in Mexico, while the other parent is still abroad.

If the declaration is issued abroad, it should be legalized or certified with an Apostille and translated into Spanish.

Bulgarian nationals holding Mexican citizenship must enter and leave Mexico as Mexican citizens, using their Mexican passports.

There are no specific vaccine requirements.

Competitive service

Issuing of ID documents

The Bulgarian citizens in Mexico could apply for issuing of new passports, identity cards and driving licences before the Bulgarian embassy in Mexico, which has the technical equipment for the collection of biometric data - fingerprints and photographs.

Certifications and Legalisations

Mexicois a party to the Hague Convention for certification of public documents with an ‘Apostille’. In making translations of documents from Bulgarian to Spanish, which will be presented in the territory of Mexico, it is mandatory that the translation of the document contains ​​a translation of the ‘Apostille’ as well. In some of the states it is required that translations, certified by the Bulgarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, be translated by a Mexican sworn translator. Because of the lack of such translators, the documents may be additionally certified by the Embassy of Bulgaria in Mexico.

Civil status

Issuing of documents abroad

An initial civil status certificate is issued only by the competent local authorities (civil registry in the relevant municipality). The terms of entry into the register need to be followed carefully, with special attention to the birth records, where the entry term is one month.

After you receive the local document certifying your civil status, it must be presented to your municipality in Bulgaria, duly translated and certified according to the established procedure. If you are unable to register a birth, marriage or death in this way, then you must submit your certificate to the Consular department.

When a person can and wishes to make a personal registration, they need to submit the relevant local certifying document, duly translated and certified according to the established procedure, to the relevant municipality in Bulgaria:

  • Birth is registered with the municipality for the permanent address of the mother. If the mother is not Bulgarian, the birth is registered with the municipality of the father.
  • For a local authority civil marriage – as per the permanent address of the husband. If he is a foreigner – of the wife.
  • For a death – as per the permanent address of the deceased.
  • Applications for civil status certification documents (for birth, civil marriage, death, personal ID number, conviction status, for permanent residence etc.) are sent to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs through diplomatic channels or by shipping companies, to be transmitted to the relevant Bulgarian state and municipal authorities. When sending documents by shipping companies all costs to Bulgaria and back are borne by the applicants.

This site uses cookies. By accepting cookies you can optimise your browsing experience.

Accept Refuse More