Diplomatic missions



Australia and Oceania


North America

South America


Last update 26 August 2023Diplomatic missions

Risk index

Level 1: Without special recommendations


Select passport type

Regular passport: visa not required

Diplomatic passport: visa not required

Official passport: visa not required


Embassy of the Republic of Bulgaria in Ireland

Address: 22 Burlington Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4
Telephone: +353 01 660 32 93, +353 01 660 30 22
Fax: +353 01 660 3915
Emergency out-of-hours hotline: +359 876 830 566
E-mail: [email protected] 
Website: www.mfa.bg/embassies/ireland 

Consular Office

Telephone: +353 01 660 32 93; +353 01 660022
Working hours: Mon – Fri (09:30 – 13:00 with a preliminary scheduled appointment)

Embassy of Ireland in Sofia

Address: 1000 Sofia, 26-30 Bacho Kiro St., Telephone: +359 2 985 34 25
Fax: +359 2 983 33 02
Е-mail: [email protected]

General information

Security level:

The crime rate in Ireland does not suggest special measures for personal safety. Be vigilant if you visit big cities. There is a danger of pickpocketing in areas of railway and bus stations, large shops.


There is no increased risk of communicable diseases in Ireland and no special precautions or vaccinations are required. It is compulsory to have health insurance to cover emergency care, as well as a European Health Card.

Customs requirements:

As a rule, excise duties must be paid in the country where alcohol and tobacco are consumed. However, there are exceptions for individuals travelling between EU countries. This exemption applies provided the products purchased are for your own use and not for resale. As the taxes (VAT and excise duty) are included in the price of the product in the country where you bought it, you do not owe any other payments to any other EU country.

Road traffic:

Observe the traffic regulations and in particular the speed limits. In Ireland, driving is on the left side of the road.
Requirements for car passengers, including if the car is registered to a person other than the driver: a general requirement is that the car has valid third party insurance and tax paid. A vehicle may be driven by a person other than the owner, provided that a power of attorney is in place.
The vehicle must not be reassigned to be driven by a resident, rented out, or used to transport passengers for a fee. If violations are found, the police may impound the vehicle and impose appropriate punitive measures.
If you stay in Ireland for more than 12 months, your foreign registration number must be changed to an Irish one. Bulgarian citizens can drive in Ireland with a Bulgarian driving licence until it expires or can be replaced with an Irish licence. Possession of an Irish driving licence is important when taking out third party insurance for a vehicle, when using it in the country and if it has Irish registration plates.
— vignette and toll fees due: Ireland does not have a vignette system. On toll roads with a toll barrier, you have to pay a toll /for cars the toll varies from EUR 1.75 to EUR 3/. On roads where there is no such barrier, there are signs informing road users that they have to pay the relevant toll and gantry cameras recording the number plates of vehicles passing through the road section. The procedure for payment of tolls in such road sections can be consulted by telephone: 1890 50 10 50 from Ireland, or 800 50 10 50 11 from any other country.
— imposing penalties for traffic offences:
In the event of a traffic offence, the offender is not stopped by the police, but is notified by post of the offence and the amount of the penalty imposed and the procedure for its repayment.
Vehicles shall be parked only in the authorized parking spaces within the hourly paid parking zones designated and signaled by traffic signs and markers. More information on the different types of zones and how to pay can be found on the following websites:

Practical advice:

Emergency telephone number — 112/999
If you need emergency medical care, provided you have a European Health Card (EZK), you can seek free medical care in public hospitals. However, given the complex management structure of some of the public hospitals, it is possible that payment may be required for care provided despite the presence of an EZK.
Information on the conditions under which you are entitled to use the EZK, the procedure for issuing an Irish health card/physician's card can be obtained at: www.hse.ie
Schools in the Republic of Ireland are divided into state and private schools. In turn, the state schools are divided into religious schools and schools where the Irish language is taught (the so-called Irish schools). ‘Gaelscoileanna’).
The full list of schools can be found at: www.education.ieor www.citizensinformation.ie/en/ .
The school year in the Republic of Ireland runs from September to June.
The primary school period consists of eight school years, which also include two years of pre-primary education starting from the age of 4. Secondary education consists of two cycles: ‘junior cycle’ from 12 to 16 years old and ‘senior cycle’ from 16 to 18 years old. At the end of each of the two levels of secondary education, examinations are taken, and the results of the last level are used for university applications and admission.
The main documents required for school enrolment are: a birth certificate and proof of the grade or level of education completed in cases where the child is already a student.
Due to a shortage of vacancies in public schools, the latter are drawing up waiting lists of prospective students. The final decision on enrolment in the school is made by the school management. In accordance with established practice, the inclusion of children in these lists shall be made at least one year before the age required to start the relevant cycle of education. More information: www.education.ie/ .
Information about the real estate market, and in particular the conditions and prices for finding a home to rent, can be obtained at: www.daft.ie . Characteristic for the capital are the extremely high rents of real estate. When you initially sign a lease, you will most often be asked to provide: bank account in Ireland, letter of recommendation from previous landlord, letter of recommendation from employer, PPS registration, address registration and paid utility bills.
Issues related to the labour market, social policy, social security rights should be consulted with the Office for Labour and Social Affairs at the Embassy of the Republic of Bulgaria in London, UK, accredited also for the territory of Ireland. /Telephone +44 207 584 1960/ or e-mail [email protected]

Travel requirements for children up to 18 years old, with/without accompanying person:

• when a minor/under-aged person travels with a companion /with one parent or a third person/, the border authorities may require: a letter from the other parent/guardian giving consent to travel abroad and contact details; an original/copy of the birth certificate; a marriage certificate or divorce decree if there are differences in the surnames of the mother and child; a death certificate in the case of a deceased parent;
• when travelling unaccompanied, you must have a letter of consent from both parents/guardians for the child's travel;
• when organised school tour groups travel, border authorities may require: a list of members in the group; a letter of consent from the parents of the under-aged person to travel with the group leader, including contact details.

More information: http://www.tusla.ie/

Local currency:

Euro (EUR)

Climatic characteristics:

The climate is temperate oceanic, with unstable cyclonic weather prevailing with frequent rain, fog and winds. The winter is mild, snowless with an average January temperature of 5 –8 °C and the summer is cool, cloudy with an average July temperature of 14 –16 °C. Annual rainfall ranges from 700—800 mm in the east, to 1000–1500 mm in the west, and in the mountains over 2000 mm, with a maximum in winter.

Travel papers and visas

Since 1 January 2007, citizens of the Republic of Bulgaria are citizens of the European Union and as such have the right to reside on the territory of another Member State for up to 90 days without any conditions or formalities, except the requirement to hold a valid identity card or passport. These provisions also apply to family members who are not nationals of a Member State accompanying or joining a Union citizen and who hold a valid passport and residence card of a family member of an EU citizen.
When you settle in Ireland, you will need to get a personal number — a PPS number from the Social Services. For this purpose, it is necessary to present the address where the person resides permanently and a valid identity document.

All EU nationals have the right to reside in another Member State for more than 90 days, provided they:

• are workers or self-employed in the host Member State, or;
• are enrolled in a private or public educational establishment accredited or funded by the host Member State, on the basis of its legislation or administrative practice, for the primary purpose of undergoing a course of study, including vocational training and;
• have full health insurance cover in the host Member State and satisfy the relevant national authorities, by declaration or other equivalent means of their choice, that they have sufficient funds for themselves and their family members in order not to become a burden on the social assistance system of the host Member State during their period of residence, or;
• are family members accompanying or joining a Union citizen who meets the above conditions.

European Health Insurance Card

The European Health Insurance Card enables all citizens of the Republic of Bulgaria with continuous health insurance rights in the countries of the European Union, the European Economic Area and Switzerland to benefit from the right to medical care. Information on the rights conferred by the EZK, the countries for which it is valid, and the procedure for issuing it can be obtained at http://www.ezok.bg/

Competitive service

Certifications and legalizations:

Official public documents issued by the competent Bulgarian authorities and intended for use in Ireland, as well as those issued by the Irish authorities and intended for use in Bulgaria, must be authenticated by Apostille.
On the Irish side, an Apostille endorsement is obtained from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Verification of documents and information at the Dublin office can be obtained at: 42—47 Lower Mount Street, Dublin 2. Working hours are 09:30 to 12:30 and 14:30 to 16:00 Monday through Friday. Further information can be obtained at 01 408 2174.


Each Apostille/certification is EUR 40, except for documents directly related to the export of goods, each of which is EUR 10.
E-register for Apostille verification and authentication
The online electronic register allows you to check the authenticity of an Apostille or certification issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Ireland.

Who can certify documents in Ireland:

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade can only certify documents executed in Ireland to be used in other countries.
All documents must be created in Ireland or show an Irish connection. The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade reserves the right to refuse to certify any documents which they consider do not have an appropriate Irish connection.
In the case of documents certified by a sworn translator before an Irish notary or solicitor, you must reside in Ireland.
Copies of foreign identification documents can only be authenticated if they have already been confirmed by that country's embassy accredited in Ireland.
Any documents to be authenticated can only be authenticated if they have already been confirmed by that country's embassy accredited in Ireland.
All documents to be authenticated must have the original signature, seal or stamp of an Irish practising public officer or organisations.

Documents certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade

• Original certificates (e.g. birth, marriage, death)
• Company documents issued by the Company Registration Office
• Documents signed by Chambers of Commerce in Ireland
• Court documents, powers of attorney and other notarial deeds
• Educational certificates and qualifications recognised by the Ministry of Education
• Medical reports signed by a doctor who is registered with the Medical Council of Ireland
• Garda Clearance letters (these must be issued by the Garda where you first lived in Ireland and bear the original Garda Síochána stamp and signature).

If you have a document created in Ireland that needs to be authenticated, you can contact the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Dublin or an office in Dublin. Cork. Please schedule an appointment if you have a large number of documents or a complete foreign adoption file to be processed.
Dublin address: Authentication Section; Ground Floor; Knockmaun House; 42-47, Lower Mount Street; Dublin 2, D02 TN83; Telephone: 01 408 2174
Cork address: Cork; Consular Services Section; Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade; 1A South Mall; Cork; T12 TA46; Telephone: 021 4944765/021 4944766

Working hours

Monday – Friday (except public holidays): 9:30 – 12:30 and 14:30 – 16:00

By mail:

If sending documents by registered mail, include a brief cover letter that shows:
• name
• return address
• phone number
• the name of the country in which the document(s) is (are) used for use
• the relevant fee

If you live abroad and want an Apostille or to certify a document created in Ireland, the process is the same as for people living in Ireland: you must contact the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade directly — see instructions above. This cannot be done through the Embassy or Honorary Consulates.
If you live abroad and need to have an official record or affidavit, the notary in your area should be able to help you.
In Bulgaria, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs provides the Apostille on civil status documents, the Ministry of Education and Science certifies educational documents, and the Ministry of Justice certifies judicial and notarial documents.

Issuance of identity documents by the Republic of Bulgaria

Any Bulgarian citizen residing in the country may submit an application to the Embassy for the issuance of a passport, identity card or an Emergency Travel Document.
A birth certificate must be presented when the first identity card is issued; and a police document verifying the relevant circumstances must be presented if the identity card and/or passport is lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed.
For the issuance of an Emergency Travel Document for children born abroad, you need the child's local birth certificate certified with an Apostille from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Dublin or an office in the city of Cork, 1 passport photo and the presence of both parents with valid Bulgarian ID.

Civil status

The Embassy of Bulgaria in Dublin has not performed marriages since 3 March 2010, as Ireland does not recognise marriages performed on Embassy premises.

This site uses cookies. By accepting cookies you can optimise your browsing experience.

Accept Refuse More